Saturday, October 4, 2008

What's In My Name?



I emailed a little home project yesterday called "What's In My Name?" I hope you and your child have fun talking and writing about this subject. Please send the completed project in either Monday or Tuesday.

Here is what I will be sharing with my students about MY name:

What’s In My Name?

1. Why did your parents choose your name?

Susan was a very popular name the year I was born. I think my mom just liked it. My parents tended to name us very common and popular names – I have an older sister Linda and a slightly older brother David. All of us were given names that were the most common of that year.

2. If you were named after someone, who was it?

I was sometimes told that I was named after Merv Rettemund’s sister Susan. Merv was someone my older brother played ball with, and later became a Detroit Tiger. I don’t think that is true, though.

3. What nicknames do you have, and how did you get them?

I am called “Sue Boo” “Boo” or “Boogan” by my siblings. I don’t know why, except that Sue Boo rhymes. My nephews all call me “Auntie Boo”. My family is big on nicknames – everyone has one.

4. Do you like your name? Why, or why not?

I really like my name, unless I’m called Sue or Susie. I think it sounds sophisticated and simple. It is also a name that I think sounds good on an old lady, and I am planning on growing to be a very old lady.

5. If you could choose another name, would you, and what would it be?

I don’t know if I would, although I certainly like other names. I like the names Carrie, Emma, Jemima, Evie. I love old fashioned names. But Susan is okay with me.

No comments: