Friday, October 5, 2007

Big Goodbye to Art Month (in a tiny way)



I'm reluctant to say goodbye to September's theme of Art and Artists - there's so much I didn't have time to cover! I think the children really enjoyed learning a bit about art throughout the ages. Today, the docent-led tour at the Toledo Museum of Art was wonderful. We learned about different types of paintings - still life, landscape, genre, etc. We saw pieces by artists now familiar to the children--Rembrandt, Monet, Matisse and Picasso. After our tour, we lunched outside under the trees and then went back for a little more before coming home. The children really seemed to love the Ancient Egypt room (which will lead in nicely with an upcoming theme!)

I think my students want to extend our theme just a bit more as there has been a lot of talk of creating a "mini-museum" in our classroom. So far, we have made little tiny easels with little masterpieces. I will have clay and other materials available in case they want to make some little sculptures. Since we've learned so much about different types of art and the materials used to create art, I'm hoping that this become an ever-evolving part of our room.

No comments: