Friday, May 22, 2020

Feeling Lucky? Try this Probability Challenge with Me!

This post is mainly for the students in my math group, although anyone is welcome to participate. I propose that we use probability to help us find a four leaf clover. I was lamenting the other day that I never have, and I wondered how I could improve my ODDS. Just by saying the word "odds" made me think that there might already be a formula or something already worked out - what is the probability of there being a four leaf clover in a batch of clovers, and how could I use this to my advantage?

Research quickly found that four-leaf clovers show up only once in every 10,000 clovers, so the probability is 1 in 10,000. That's not so good at first glance - the odds are not in our favor. Now I needed to find out how many clovers there were in a typical dense clover patch. Luckily, I found THIS article that did this work for us. Turns out, you should get 10,000 clovers on 12.5 square feet. This made it seem slightly more manageable!

So there's our mathematical adventure for the weekend, mathematicians! In your yard, or on a nature walk, try to find a clover patch. Stake out as close to 12.5 square feet as you can. Using your great powers of observation, probability, and maybe a little luck - let's get some four-leaf clovers!

Guess what? Alex and his family already found one! Get your game face on and get out there! Google Meet on Tuesday, May 26th to show results! I'll send a reminder.









No comments: