Thursday, April 9, 2020

Poetry Month



Livia's illustration - thank you for sharing!

April is National Poetry Month and has always been pretty widely celebrated here at Summers-Knoll. I would say we're all pretty fond of poetry - each teacher could probably list a few favorite poets or poems. This month, my co-teacher Tate is doing a whole project around nature and poetry. In my class, we keep a poetry anthology all year, and in April traditionally have a poet-TEA party on or near Poem-in-Pocket day.

This week's poem was very fitting for at least one day - April Rain Song, by Langston Hughes. When we were in "school-school," we would take turns reading it all by ourselves, all together, or with a partner. Then we would talk about the poem's meaning, and brainstorm how we could best illustrate. We can still do this now - only "all-together" poetry reading may be with your sibling and a parent!

I've been using the prerecorded morning greeting times as yet another way to share my love of poetry. Each morning in April, I will share one of my favorite poems. This week, most of them have had the theme of journeys, as we have not been able to travel due to the corona virus. Poetry helps us use our imaginations to go wherever we want to!




Finally, I've updated our shared Google Calendar to include a new event. I'm planning a virtual poet-TEA party on poem-in-pocket day, April 30. Stay tuned for more details, but keep 2:00p.m open on that day.




No comments: