Friday, March 27, 2020

Our Second Week - Making it Happen!

This may not be true for all of us, but I get a sense that most people are settling in to a workable routine now that we are a couple of weeks into this new type of schooling. Parents have assured me - that for the most part - they are finding success in finding a balance between work, school, and self-care. Of course, everything is a work in progress, right? I think as long as children have some sort of a routine they can count on, with plenty of fresh air, time for chores, keeping up skills with an emphasis on literacy, and a sense of being in a center of calm - all will be fine. Children are resilient. Go easy on yourself, if you can. Reach out if you need to; we are in this together.

This was my "office" for most of this week. My office hours will continue to be 8 - 12 M-F. It is during this time you can expect an extra speedy email response, and I'm also available for a google chat meeting. Just click on our meeting link, and I'm there!


This is one of our ways to display art - my fridge! Many thanks to Augustus for this lovely note and wonderfully scary piece labeled "The Devastating Monster." Pretty soon, I hope my boring old white refrigerator will be filled with wonderful child art to remind me of all the talent we have.


Children did their usual schoolwork, like illustrating poems, doing science experiments, and writing memory pages.





Besides our usual school work, we had a few creative challenges, like build your best Lego creation. Here's a great one!


And we even tried to keep up special routines, like our monthly Environment Super Hero activity. This time, it was in the form of a tutorial, in hopes that it may be recreated at home!


Again, it's all about balance. Going forward, how will we build on this sturdy foundation we are building? I feel so proud of where we are right now. I believe - if we do this right - that our children will most remember how their family felt during the pandemic more than anything specific about the Corona virus. They are watching and learning from us - how to be resilient and calm. We need to teach them how to respond to stress and uncertainty. This is a wonderful opportunity, if we let it be.


No comments: