Friday, February 10, 2017

Pocket Riddles - Practice with Coins

As our flea market is fast approaching, we are taking some time to review coin names and values, as well as adding and subtracting money. Here is one activity that we did today that can be easily done at home for practice - and the best part is that it can be easily modified for many skill levels.

I started today with a couple riddles about coins that I had in my pockets. If a child figured it out correctly, they could go to the money chest and pick some coins so they could be the riddler. Here are some riddles to get you started:

I hold 4 coins. They total 61 cents. What coins do I have?
I hold 3 coins. They total 27 cents. What coins do I have?
I hold 5 coins. They total 76 cents. What coins do I have?
There are 4 coins. The coins total 30 cents. What coins do I have?
There are 4 coins. They total 60 cents. What coins do I have?
There are 3 coins. The coins total 35 cents. What coins do I have?
I hold 5 coins. They total 95 cents. What coins do I have?

For beginners, it would probably help to have an assortment of coins for them to manipulate. For more skilled workers, you can challenge them to work it out in their heads. Have fun!


No comments: