Thursday, September 24, 2015

Our Identity Street

“My house is me and I am it. My house is where I like to be and it looks like all of my dreams.”

The above quote is from a book read by one of our first "Special Readers". Marcel shared one of my old favorites last week, The Big Orange Splot. On the surface, this is a book that engages children by its colorful and whimsical illustrations, but it is actually a very philosophical book about conformity, creativity, and identity.

Since our theme is identity, I took this opportunity to revisit the book a couple days after Marcel read it. Again, the children looked at the pictures of all the different houses on Mr. Plumbean's street. You see, Mr. Plumbean's neighbors all thought they LIKED their houses looking exactly the same, to live on a "neat street". But once they visited with Mr. Plumbean, and heard him talk about his dreams and hopes, they wanted a house that represented what they were most like too. The street turns into a riot of color and a celebration of individuality.

Now we have a "street" in our classroom (the corkboard strip running along the wall), with each child's special dream house. Here are just a few:








No comments: