Monday, February 9, 2015

New Read-Aloud

We finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane a bit ago, and the reviews from the students were mostly very positive. I think the favorite part of the whole story was meeting Bull, a hobo. This opened up a lot of very interesting conversations about hoboes, which led to talking about the Great Depression, which led to lots of good stuff.


Anyway, the next book I selected is about another hobo, of sorts. Dominic, by William Steig, has been on my shelves since my own son was about this age. Boy, do I love this book. Steig has a wonderful ability to tell an action-packed yet thoughtful book - and one that does not talk down to children. The vocabulary and humor in this book make it a pleasure for an adult to read. I dare anyone of any age to not love this book.


No comments: