Wednesday, September 4, 2013

First Day Magic

The first day of school is always pretty magical for me. I get the first day jitters, like many people, but once the children come into the classroom, and I am surrounded by their happy noise, I know I'm going to be just fine.

The parents of the first grade students were very brave, or at least they pretended to be. The second grade parents mostly gave a jaunty wave and were off - they are old hands at this, and are confident their children are in good hands.

Oh, and in case you don't know what was hiding in the little tiny castle boxes, it was this:


Each child "adopted" a little baby dragon to care for. Castles have been decorated, beds have been fashioned from tissues, and even little suits of clothes have been made from scrap felt. It's a pretty cushy gig being a dragon. Our first poem we are learning is "What to Feed a Dragon", and our first read-aloud (which I will start today) is How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell.

We are the S-K Dragons! It is going to be a great year.

No comments: