Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pattern Books - A Writing Exercise

The term "pattern book" is not a literary or technical term, but it is a good way to talk about the first books children read conventionally (reading the actual print as opposed to "reading" the pictures). As the name implies, such a book as a predictable structure and is repetitive. Because I want to begin our writing work on organizing ideas with a simple structure, it makes sense to have our first writing to contain patterns. It is assessable for all types and levels of writers. Often when I have children do something like this - each writing one page -  if I put everyone's pages together it can make a lovely book.

Yesterday, I read a lovely book by Margaret Wise Brown called The Important Book. Each page is a pattern. Here is one such page:

The important thing about rain is that it is wet.
It falls out of the sky, and it sounds like rain, and
makes things shiny, and it does not taste like anything,
and is the color of air.
But the important thing about rain is that it is wet.

Using this as a guide of sorts, each child wrote a page about themselves. You will see them, along with their self portraits, at Curriculum Night on Thursday. In the meantime, I wonder if you can pick out your own child's contribution?




The most important thing about me is that I am alive. I like my family and video games. I have a Nintendo. But the most important thing about me is that I am alive.

                                                                                                   

The most important thing about me is that I get to ride horses. I like my neighbors and my class. I have a bed. But the most important thing about me is that I get to ride horses.                                                                                   

                                                                                               

The most important thing about me is my mom and dad. I like my puppy and my chickens and my Wii. I have a sister. But the most important thing about me is my mom and dad.

                                                                                                           

The most important thing about me is I love my mom and dad. I like school and cats. I have two dwarf frogs. But the most important thing about me is I love my mom and dad.           

                                                                       

The most important thing about me is I love my family. I like pink kittens and purple kittens. I have a kitten and a cat. But the most important thing about me is I love my family.

 

The most important thing about me is I love my family. I like my classroom and my Hello Kitty doll. I have a nice classroom. But the most important thing about me is I love my family.

 

The most important thing about me is I love my family. I like wolves and rats. I have tools. But the most important thing about me is I love my family.

 

The most important thing about me is S-K. I like Wii and food. I have friends. But the most important thing about me is S-K.

                                                           

The most important thing about me is my family loves me. I like Hello Kitty and Harry Potter. I have a school. But the most important thing about me is my family loves me.

 

The most important thing about me is I am alive. I like racecars and tools. I have a house. But the most important thing about me is I am alive.


The most important thing about me is I am a kid. I like my brother and my family. I have a toy car. But the most important thing about me is I’m a kid.

 

The most important thing about me is I am me! I like my mommy. I like my family. I like my cat. I like my daddy. I like my mommy. I have a kitten. But the most important thing about me is I am me! I like my mommy.

 

The most important thing about me is I love mom and dad. I like my heart puppy and tools. I have a mom and dad. But the most important thing about me is I love my mom and dad.

                                                                                                 

 

No comments: