Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May Day


Today at morning meeting, we talked about it was the first day of a new month. Some people call this May Day. I showed the school community the May basket I had made before school, and talked about how this is one of my favorite things to do, on one of my favorite days of the year. They are fun to make to hang on a neighbor's doorknob, or just give to someone special. At recess times, I helped whoever was interested to make their own May basket, and they look so fresh and pretty hanging in various cubbies.
And, to further celebrate, a beautiful poem written by Sarah Teasdale, called May Day.
A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.

Red small leaves of the maple
Are clenched like a hand,
Like girls at their first communion
The pear trees stand.

Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;

For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?



No comments: