Friday, October 14, 2011

On a Lighter "Note"/Music from Our Backyard


A confession: I have a problem with most "children's music" - I tend to find it a bit annoying, honestly - and I think our children deserve better than a lot of what is out there. (That said, Dan Zanes is pretty darn cool.)

I like kids to listen to what I like, which is an eclectic mix of reggae, indie rock, gypsy jazz and opera. Today, for instance, we are listening to music from "our backyard" of Ann Arbor. We have SUCH a vibrant music scene here! As we play with Lego, make our Friday applesauce, sew, etc. we are listening to a mix tape with Matt Jones, Chris Bathgate, Misty Lyn, Dave Boutette, Royal Garden Trio, Orpheum Bell, Jim Roll, Timothy Monger, and Great Lake Myth Society. If you have a chance to get out and listen to any of these amazing musicians (with or without your children), please do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you know, I wish I could