Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Sweet Thing

















I am a big fan of Quiet Reading Time. It has always been one of my favorite times of the day, and I'm thankful to have a schedule that allows time for this most days immediately following lunch recess.

Sometimes I read my own book to be a role model AND to enjoy the silence and warmth of just being with the kids in this peaceful way. Other times, I read one-on-one with individual children. Today I read with Erin, Lea, Stanley, and Trent.

It was during Trent's turn that a strange and sweet thing happened. As he quietly but enthusiastically read Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (picked, he said, because he knew it was one of MY favorites), Stanley leaned against me in order to listen too. Then, Lea went on the other side of Trent to listen. Then Freya. Finally, Toussaint joined us, sort of sidling in between Stanley and me (so Stanley good naturedly climbed on the desk to see).

Where did that leave me? The person Trent was reading to? I found myself outside of this cozy little circle, gazing very fondly on this special group of children. But wondering how I lost my seat.

No comments: