Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recess Fun = Cooperation

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir when I talk about recess time - I think we all (S-K teachers, parents, administrators) instinctively know that it is SO important. I find it incredibly sad that many children (at other schools) have such limited time outside. One of the reasons that Summers-Knoll is a school I believe in is that we are encouraged to take our kids outside several times a day. Recess is good for so many reasons, many of them outlined in this NY Times Article:

Some of the things I've observed in the first few weeks of school:





New and old games alike being taught and played, including many versions of tag





Amazing teamwork and engineering skills when building "water world" at the County Farm Park playground







Cooperative imaginary games, like the Ink Making Shop and the Home/Store







Children helping each other learn daring tricks on the monkey bars






I am very grateful that I'm allowed to work at a school that encourages this "out of the box" learning, physical activity, and imaginative and cooperative play.

No comments: