Monday, January 19, 2009
Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
President Elect Obama has called for today to be a day of service, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. I've read that today should be considered "a day on, not off". As you know, S-K is BIG on community service, not on just one day, but throughout the year.
I know that it is not always easy to find activities appropriate for our youngest students. But today, if you are home with your child looking for a way to honor Dr. King, here are a couple of suggestions:
* Bundle up and help shovel a neighbor's sidewalk
* Look through your kitchen pantry and select non-dented, non-expired canned food to go to a shelter or food pantry
* Sort through toys and choose some to give away to those less fortunate
* Make a baked good or casserole and deliver it to an elderly neighbor or friend
* Visit an animal shelter with a case of food - spend some time with the animals
These are just a few ideas - I'm sure you can come up with some others.
Also, here are some of my favorite books to share:
My Dream of Martin Luther King by Faith Ringgold
Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport
Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King, Jr. by Jean Marzollo
I Have a Dream, by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Enjoy the day, enjoy your children.