Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dear President Obama

Here are the letters my students wrote to President Elect Obama as part of the Handwriting Without Tears campaign. After revising and editing, the children used their most beautiful printing or cursive. Enjoy!

Dear President Obama,

Congratulations on becoming the 44th President of the USA! My name is Lukas, and I'm 7, and I go to Summers-Knoll school, and I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This is what I think the USA should change: Try to replace cars with public transportation. Also make free preschools for the poor because before you are in kindergarten, parents have to pay for the preschools. Since some people don't have enough money and then they can't go to preschool. But the rich have money to pay for it so they should still pay money. If you can't decide, let Congress help you.

Congratulations on becoming President. My name is Selden. I am 7 years old. My favorite color is orange. I think fighting games without blood should be rated E 10+. Farting doesn't count as blood.


Congratulations on becoming President. My name is Parker and here is some advice. 1. Raise tax price. 2. Try to stop wars. 3. Give to the poor. 4. Run for president again.


Congratulations! You've won the election. My name is Stanley. I am six years old and in 2nd grade. We would like you to not litter. We want you to make people rich. And we want you to help schools.

Congratulations on becoming President! My name is Justin, I'm 8 and I'm in 3rd grade. I think you should give tax cuts to the poor and tax raises to the rich because the poor have less money than the rich and the rich have more money than the poor. You should ban plastic bags because they're bad for the environment. Thank you for bothering to read my letter.

Hello, my name is Alec. I'm in the third grade class at Summers-Knoll School in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm very glad you won the presidential election because you are the first bi-racial president. I too am bi-racial. My mother is American and my father is Asian. I am writing to you with some advice about what you could do as President of the United States of America. You could put storm drains in Texas, help the environment and most importantly fix the economy. The reason I think you should put storm drains in Texas is because there are no storm drains when it rains and the streets flood, sometimes people have to be rescued from their cars! You're probably wondering how I know all this when I live in Michigan. Well I have a cousin who lives in Texas and that's how I know all that. The reason I think you should help the environment is because lately animals have been dying because of litter pollution, etc. Here are some ways I think you could help the environment. 1. protect animal habitats 2. use less water 3. use less electricity. Last but not least I think you could fix the economy by lowering gas prices because my father worked for a company that makes car parts and got laid off because not many cars were being bought because of gas prices. So anyways I'm glad you took the time to read my letter. Thank you, good luck in your term as President.

Congratulations on becoming President!! My name is Peter. I'm a 2nd grader in Mrs. Carpenter's class in Summers-Knoll School. I'm 7 years old, and my favorite subject in school is math, my favorite color is green, and my two best friends are Selden and Justin (They are writing to you too.) I want the country to have all TV shows, books, CDs, and movies to have ratings, because if a 5 year old boy likes Dora the Explorer, and he had an 8 year old brother, he might go nuts. So that's why I will want to have ratings for all media.

Congratulations. My name is Lea and my real name is Leandra. I'm 7 years old. I know you have two daughters named Sasha and Malia. I have some advice for you. 1. No pollution signs. 2. Wheel chair access. 3. Some of the taxes should go to the poor.

Congratulations for getting to be president!! My name is Erin. I am seven years old. My birthday is March 31st. I go to Summers-Knoll School. Please make more free preschools for poor and also make more no-litter signs. Do you take my advice or discard it? If you can't decide, let Congress help you. If I could vote, (I know this was kind of supposed to be secret,) but I would vote for you!!

Congratulations! My name is Beatrix. I'm seven years old. My birthday is May third and my favorite color is orange. Environment is very important, so I think we should have less paper and plastic bags and more reusable cloth bags. Education is also important so we should tuter kids who are failing school and make preschools free. Tax is also very important so we should raise taxes for the rich and lower taxes for the poor people.

No comments: