Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Final Post - Thank You for the Memories

June is always a bittersweet time for me each year, but this year it is exceedingly so. After hard weeks of restless sleep, heart-to-heart talks, and many tears, I’ve decided that the 2019-2020 will be my final year of teaching. I have decided to take the plunge - with my friends and family’s urging and my financial advisor’s blessing - and retire. I know I leave at a challenging time - believe me, that was the restless sleep part - but I also have full confidence knowing that Summers-Knoll is in the hands of such capable, intelligent, and creative people. I have never felt more connection to any place than I have to this school - this is my heart. 


I want to thank all of my beautiful co-workers who have been my family and best buds for a long time. Although I have been here the longest, there have been several people who I’ve known for over a decade and we’ve seen each other’s children grow up. There are others that have been here just a tiny while but we’ve bonded instantly. I’ve been lucky enough to have friendships that even expand outside of the school building and oozle into local establishments for the occasional refreshment. My husband doesn’t understand this. He doesn’t care to hang out with any of his workmates - they exchange just enough pleasantries to get through the day. Me? I’d hang out with all of you people all the time. I love you.


And to the school families I’ve had the honor of serving these past years - thank you, thank you. I have taught children for 25 years, the past 18 at Summers-Knoll. I remember each and every year thinking that this was a very special place, with an involved and caring parent community.


I know it isn’t easy to hand your child over to someone and trust that they will do their best to know them. To not hurt what is so precious and pure, and to honor what makes them unique. I hope I have been that teacher for your children. I will especially miss my current class of first and second graders - what a group of children and parents. I wanted to go out on the best and most wonderful highnote I could imagine - you little and big people were all I could hope for and more. 


Thank you, everyone.

No comments: