Thursday, February 6, 2020

Black Lives Matter

February is traditionally Black History Month, celebrated in some educational institutions since the 1970's (although I don't remember it being mentioned at all when I was growing up). I'm sure it has become more common in recent years - but while many teachers are filled with good intentions, I believe we too often use this time only to affirm ourselves and our culture and how far we have come. Of course, there has always been controversy surrounding Black History Month; why confine black history to one month - Black history is, of course, American history.

While I sincerely try to read a variety of material reflecting all types of people all year long, throughout all subject areas, I did want to use this time to talk to the children about the Black Lives Matter movement. While the Civil Rights Movement brought about laws and many good changes when I was a child, the struggle is by no means over. I think children - even very young children - are being done a disservice when well-meaning adults gloss things over and say that bad things happened "a long time ago," and that slavery, prejudice, and injustice based on race, gender identity, age, and many other circumstances are not still very much part of our world today.

This week, and throughout the month, the children and I will be working through 13 Guiding Principles. I usually have a book that relates to the principle, and then we talk about some examples in our own lives. A coloring sheet is made available, as well as a thinking/writing prompt for those who are interested. Please take a look at some of our work so far:


The 13 Principles are:

Collective Value, Diversity, Restorative Justice, Globalism, Black Villages, Black Woman, Loving Engagement, Empathy, Queer Affirming, Transgender Affirming, Unapologetically Black, Black Families, Intergenerational.

Please, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

No comments: