Saturday, November 16, 2019

HOT HOT HOT! This Week in Math Class

This past week in my math group we've been attempting base ten riddles. They started out quite mild, and then got extra spicy.

Most children easily solved Monday's mild puzzles by themselves, without my help or the help of the base ten blocks. Because our Singapore math books emphasizes place value, we were all ready for these basic challenges. Here are some examples:

I have 4 tens and 8 ones. Who am I?

I am 36. How many tens do I have?

If you put 3 more tens with me, I would be 46. Who am I?

If you take away 1 ten, I would be 78. Who am I?

Image result for base ten blocks


By the end of the week, the puzzles took a decidedly spicy turn. Children decided there was strength in numbers and worked together, with me or an adult helper, and found the base ten blocks very useful!

I am 56. I have 26 ones. How many tens do I have?

If you put 4 more tens with me, I would be 125. Who am I?
  
If you take away 5 tens, I would be 94. Who am I?

I am 452. I have 25 tens. How many hundreds do I have?

I have 18 ones. I am between 130 and 140. How many tens do I have?

These types of riddles are great practice for developing true number sense. Students find it fun to manipulate and play with numbers as long as it is kept low-stakes and light. Try making some of these base-ten puzzles for each other at home! 

No comments: