Thursday, May 12, 2016

What We're Reading

On Thursday of last week, both 1st and 2nd grade classes headed off to Wild Swan Theater to see their current production of Charlotte's Web. That morning, I thought I'd start reading the book aloud, as it has always been one of my favorites. I admit, I am always leery of doing so, as I can barely choke out the end, and always end up in a puddle of tears.

One of the things I loved: When I announced that I would be reading it, so many children said, "Oh! but I've already read that one!" and it appeared to me that perhaps I would be better off reading something fresh. But once I started reading - SILENCE. With excellent writing, children are spellbound, even after (or maybe especially with) repeated readings. I'm glad I started the book, and feel sad that it is already almost at an end. I'll start packing extra tissues.

Also, Joanna emailed a link of an amazing video to all S-K teachers just today, and I immediately shared it with the children. I couldn't believe the timing of her gift. I'd like to share it with all of you, but I believe it is only on Facebook. Here is one that is almost as magical:


There is so much beauty and magic all around us, we just have to open our eyes to see it.



No comments: