Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Important Book

I like to use pattern books in the classroom for various reasons. Pattern books have a predictable structure and language that repeats. Lots of the books young children read have patterns - and not only are these satisfying and easier to read, they can also lead to great writing experiences.

Today, I used one of my favorite pattern books, and was thrilled to learn that no one had read it yet. It is a lovely book called "The Important Book", written by Margaret Wise Brown.



In this book, the author lists many everyday objects and tells why they are important. For instance: 

The important thing 
about a cricket is 
that it is black. 
It chirps, 
it hops, 
it jumps, 
and sings all through the summer night. 
But the important thing 
about a cricket is 
that it is black.

It is simple and poetic ... and somehow very moving. And, like most pattern books, the repetitive nature and simple structure were comforting to our young students. Best of all, it led us to use this pattern for some sweet writing of our own. Here are two examples (you can read the rest at Curriculum Night).

The important thing about me is that I am me.

I can jump high.

I can run fast.

I will be a good person.

But the most important thing about me is that I am me.

                                                 Sena    9/9/14


The important thing about me is that I help people!

I can make paper stay up.

I also can make magic.

I will get a two-wheel scooter.

But the most important thing about me is that I help people!

                                          Marcel    9/9/14



No comments: