Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Smart

As you know, our math groups have all been exploring the concept of money, in preparation for our big flea market event coming up in a few weeks. In my class, we are learning different ways of counting piles of coins, and are practicing making exchanges.

This was a fun activity that we did this morning - we read this poem and then pairs of children acted it out a couple of times. As time allowed, pairs of children got to act it out in front of the others.

Andreas and Kaden act out the poem as I read it.

Exchanges were made. 

Kaden shaking his head, "too proud to speak".

SMART

My dad gave me one dollar bill
'Cause I'm his smartest son,
And I swapped it for two shiny quarters
'Cause two is more than one!

And then I took the quarters
And traded them to Lou
For three dimes -- I guess he don't know
That three is more than two!

Just then, along came old blind Bates
And just 'cause he can't see
He gave me four nickels for my three dimes,
And four is more than three!

And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs
Down at the seed-feed store,
And the fool gave me five pennies for them,
And five is more than four!

And then I went and showed my dad,
And he got red in the cheeks
And closed his eyes and shook his head--
Too proud of me to speak!

- Shel Silverstein

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the poem and am sure your children will learn much from it and what value really is.