Saturday, April 30, 2011

American Prairie - Our Final Theme of the Year

This is a wonderful theme to explore as it offers so many opportunities for cross-curricular learning.

Social Studies and Literacy will combine as we read Little House on the Prairie together. Each student will receive their very own copy of the book and will follow along as I read aloud. Prairie life and childhood in the late 1800s will be explored, and art, games and cooking projects will follow! I also have two interesting picture books about life in the 1930s - A Prairie Boy's Summer and A Prairie Boy's Winter.

Of course, we will also explore the more scientific aspects of the prairie. The prairie ecosystem is a fascinating one, and animals and plants that survive and thrive here will be studied. We will plant our own miniature prairie garden in our raised bed, and will visit either the arboretum or the botanical garden to view their special exhibits.

If you're not from the prairie, you can't know my soul,
You don't know our blizzards, you've not fought our cold.
You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart,
Unless deep within you, there's somehow a part ...
A part of these things that I've said that I know,
The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.
Best say you have--and then we'll be one,
For we will have shared that same blazing sun.


from If You're Not From the Prairie, by David Bouchard

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A great theme Susan and I really liked the poem

Jennifer said...

Little House was one of my favorite series to read when I was young. How exciting that you get to share it with your students.