Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Winter Walk with Faye
















Faye, the wonderful naturalist who works with our children several times a year, braved the cold and met us at County Farm Park this morning. She complimented the children on wanting to come out on such a chilly day - but, honestly, everyone was so bundled up that no one felt that cold at all. S-K children really know how to dress for the weather!

We did cut it short - just 20 minutes - but had time to go off trail and find lots of animal tracks. We talked about what animals did in the winter, and what they ate. As usual, I learned something from Faye. I don't think I've ever come back from a visit without learning a tidbit about our natural world. What lucky kids we have! They will know more about nature than the vast majority of children, I'm sure.

When we returned, warm mugs of spiced apple cider were waiting for us. It was a magical morning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The area back of my house is literally covered with deer tracks.

Fran Loosen said...

I learned today about what deer eat in the winter and how they shouldn't eat snow because it zaps the warmth from them. I love learning from Faye second hand!